Friday, January 23, 2009

Guns 101: Handguns - The Derringer

So as a primer, we're going to go through all the different types of gun.

. . .

OK, no we're not. I'm not going to get historical because i don't feel like doing research. But i will be discussing the "Big Three" types of guns--handguns, rifles and shotguns--and talking about their uses and attributes. All together that is a huge topic so for today I am going to stick to one type of handgun.

A handgun is a short-barreled gun that you hold in your hand, obviously. Although ideally with most handguns you hold it with TWO hands. :) Handguns are available in a fairly limited range of action types ("action" meaning, "if/how the next bullet is fed after you pull the trigger and shoot once"). The only three of those that i care enough about to discuss, and probably the only three you will ever encounter, are: break action (derringers), revolvers and semiautomatics.

And I am going to start with derringers. Because they are KYOOT!



awwwwwwww!

Like i plan on doing with lots of my pictures on this blog, I pirated this picture from the interwebs. If it belongs to you, and you want me to take it down, just tell me! kthanx.

"Derringer" is actually a generic term for any 1 or 2 shot, break-action handgun. "Break action" referring to the fact that you load the rounds into the barrels by "breaking" the gun in half. You big meany, you.

These are kind of a classic purse/vest gun because they are tiny, easy to conceal, and deadly enough at 15 feet. And 15 feet is about the average distance from your assailant if you do ever get into a gunfight, btw. :)

They are usually chambered in bullet calibers (.22, .38, .45 etc) but they are commonly found in .410, which is a shotgun round (a shell full of tiny bullets). Here is an awesome picture of a derringer, open, with shotgun shells in it:



For the sake of scale, .410 shotgun shells (like the ones in the picture) are a little bit shorter and thicker than a cigarette.

You get the idea though. Open the gun (flip that little lever near the trigger) and put bullets/shells in it. Close. Aim. Pull trigger. As a point of discussion, i should mention that most derringers are single-action, meaning you have to cock the hammer before you can pull the trigger. This is cool because it functions as a safety (you can't pull the trigger unless you MEAN to pull the trigger because there is a step you have to take prior to pulling the trigger) but it can also be kind of lame if you have, like, .005 seconds to shoot a mugger or a rapist.

Derringers aren't really considered a beginner's gun because they are tough to learn how to shoot since the grip is eeny beeny teeny tiny.



They are also limited on range and accuracy due to their size. But they DO fit nicely in a purse, and some of them are plainly designed with women in mind:



Good choice if you are scared of muggers or carjackers. Not such a good choice if you are scared of bears or . . . bears.

Next up--revolvers!

4 comments:

  1. You are my kind of woman. It has nothing to do with the guns, though. I just like your stones. My dad taught all us kids and my mom to shoot. I don't own any guns though. There's quite a bit of old hippie in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I make a request for a future article? Can we talk about the .50 BMG? Oooo! Or how about the Deagle! There's a good one! I WILL have a Deagle one day. I've looked at them a couple times, I just need to get one already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know derringers came chambered for shotgun shells! (Did I say that right?)

    Stacey, you like big horses and big calibers - you're a size queen! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah: you're awesome! :) I'm OK with people not owning any guns, as long as they know how to shoot if the need arises!
    Stacey: Absolutely. The .50 cal needs a blog entry just to establish the difference between .50 S&W and .50 BMG. I've never heard of a Deagle--perhaps you can guest blog about it! :) e-mail me if you're interested . . .
    Funder: YOU ROCK. Thank you for establishing EXACTLY the right tone of this blog! That's what i was aiming for, no pun intended--No Boys Allowed!!

    ReplyDelete