Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First!

Hey all!

Welcome to Guns 'n' Glitter. I couldn't think of a snappier title, so we're stuck with that one.

I know just anecdotally that there are a lot of women out there who are interested in getting involved in shooting, be it for self-defense, hunting, target shooting or just to pick up another life skill. I am very much in favor of this, as you may imagine, because more women shooters means "more cool chicks i can hang out with at the gun club."

Hopefully this blog can serve as a non-intimidating place for us gals to discuss some of the things that can seem overwhelming or embarassing to ask if you are going into shooting as a newbie. Thus, this is my attempt at doing a women-specific shooting sports/hunting blog. I hope i can be of some assistance to some of you out there!

Street cred: I have been shooting Red Ryder bb guns and .22 rifles since . . . probably around age 10. Isn't that when most parents decide a kid is old enough for a bb gun? Started in with handguns at 18 and shotguns at 21. Most of the time that I spend shooting is spent with my shotguns, since clay pigeons are FUN FUN FUN to shoot at. I started hunting at 25 (late bloomer, i guess) but i have been making up for lost time in that particular area.

I am not affiliated with the NRA or any particular political party--I just firmly believe that everyone should know how to use a gun because you never know when the need may arise.

Let me know in the comments if you have anything specific you would like me to address. You can also e-mail me (it's in my profile). Otherwise I am going to poach the "How to Clean a Handgun" post from Funder's blog as the first "real" post, since that is where the whole idea for this blog came from.

Also, since most of my readers (all 2 of you maybe??) are crossing over to here from the horseback world, I do plan on doing a post on how to humanely dispatch your horse with a firearm in case of extreme emergency. But don't worry; I will give lots of warning on that one so that the non-horsey or squeamish can just skip right over it.

I also plan to wax poetical about all the cool pink shooting accessories that are out there.

And, we're off!!

2 comments: