Friday, May 22, 2009

PROPER GUN STORAGE

One thing that you can never ever ever cut corners on, ever, ever ever, is proper gun storage. Guns need to be able to be securely stored in an area INACCESSIBLE to children/thieves/nitwits. You, as a gun owner, carry this heavy burden squarely on your awesome gun-owning shoulders.

That being said, I don't own a gun safe. Yet.

My rationale has traditionally been this:

1) I will never ever have kids, mostly because I can't stand children. I know i'm going to alienate all three of my readers with that revelation, but it's true. I have no maternal instinct whatsoever. I've seriously never even had a child as a visitor in any place I have ever lived. My sister who does have kids has to be pretty damn desperate to ask me to baby-sit, because she knows I will completely half-ass any attempts at child care (example: I do NOT change diapers. Period.) So the safety issue is pretty much nil because my house is more likely to be invaded by elephants than it is by anyone under the age of 21. However, my home IS invaded by nitwits fairly regularly. I call them my "friends." So i guess this excuse doesn't really hold water.

2) I have never owned a home. Home ownership is the time for large, immobile furniture. Home RENTERSHIP is not. Gun safes weigh, like, a trillion pounds. I am simply NOT dragging that from apartment to apartment.

So, you know where this is going. Our new president made the (totally awesome) decision to give me back a bunch of my own tax dollars to buy a house. $8,000? I'm on it! Thanks, Mr. President! I've been waiting 30 years for someone to incent me to be a grown-up and buy a house. So I did. I bought a sweet sweet condo. It is SECOND-FLOOR, so totally defensible against zombie attacks since I only have one point of access.

Problem: I have a home now. It's time to get The Gun Safe.

Bigger Problem: Second floor. A flight of stairs is going to be involved.

Somewhat Similarly-Sized Problem: These fookers are EXPENSIVE. And, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Guh.

So a couple of years ago, I wheedled a promise of some moolah out of my parents specifically for The Gun Safe once I got a proper place. Moolah has been granted. So it is time to go shopping.

I will keep you posted on what I look at, what i like, and what i dislike. Good times, yeeuh. :D

5 comments:

  1. You could never alienate me. I grew up with you. ;) Sidenote, I think I may have known that guy in Australia. Maybe biblically. GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you sure? Did he do Ecstasy with you? Was it totally awesome like he promised. At least he wasn't hitting on me, thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's me *not alienated*

    Sounds like Austrailia was a ball! Even if the Aussies are off their rocker...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are TOTALLY nutso but generally pretty friendly, except for the guys who work in the subways. Those guys are d*cks. But i think that's true of any country.

    ReplyDelete