Monday, February 9, 2009

How I Got Started - Part One

So let's take a break from talking about specific types and functions of firearms and talk about a subject very near and dear to my heart . . . me. :)

I have had a few requests (ok, one) wanting to know more about how exactly i got started shooting and why i've kept at it. Like so many of people's life experiences, it was mostly driven by family. Neither of my parents nor my older sisters were into firearms when i was younger, but baby brother sure was. I remember him begging my mom to "make" him guns out of old wood scraps. I should take a moment here to mention that even though my mom is not particularly into firearms, she IS very hands-on. She is the reason i can chainsaw, crochet, make jerky, nail two boards together, run a router, and work on my own car. So yes, we always had scrap wood around the house, and she would nail two 3" chunks together to approximate the shape of a pistol, and Scott would run around and shoot the hell out of stuff with it. Muzzle safety is a concept that escapes most kids.

But anyways, Scott got older and more wily and he somehow convinced the 'rents to get him a Red Ryder bb gun. We got the very serious lecture about how these guns CAN cause harm, and do not point the gun at anything you don't wish to harm, etc. As far as i can remember, we took this advice to heart and never even annoyed the dogs with the bb gun. I know people who are a little more cavalier with them. I have a friend who actually shot his own kid with one, being funny, and neither him or his 13 year old daughter realized until like 2 hours after the fact that the BB WAS STUCK IN HER LEG and they had to go to the doctor to get it removed. Moral? It IS still a gun, and it demands respect.

But anyways, back to muzzle safety: So Scott and i plinked on pop cans in my parents' driveway (and we lived in a rural enough part of Washington state that no one was going to freak out about kids with a gun) and we never put our eye out or anything. Although Scott DID get the bright idea once to shoot a bumblebee which was on one of my mom's flowers . . . FORGETTING THE PICTURE WINDOW DIRECTLY BEHIND THE FLOWER. Bringing us to another important safety consideration--backstop. Don't shoot at anything if you don't know or can't see what's behind it. The look on Scott's face was pretty priceless, and i think he learned a pretty important lesson. I also think he got massively spanked.

So that was my introduction to guns--the bb variety. I would also plink with Grandpa's old Remington 511, which is a bolt-action .22 rifle and the next logical step up in caliber.

At some point around my 17th or 18th year on this planet, i was introduced to handguns (which i just typoed as 'handfuns')(which sounds kind of dirty). My first handgunning experience was with the previously mentioned Ruger Single Six revolver, during a backpacking trip with my family. My dad always strapped this gun on for hiking, despite the fact that a .22 won't actually kill most of the things you encounter in the backcountry unless you are very very precise with the location of the shot. Think "hitting a cougar in the eyeball" precise. But anyways, we set up an old tin can and shot at it and it were fun.

I was more intimidated by semiautomatic handguns because they are louder and shell-flingier. And because they have external moving parts, there is a margin of error when you shoot them. If your hand is in the wrong place, the gun can hurt you. Actually you can hurt yourself shooting a revolver too but it is easier to do with a semi-auto.

Anyways, around age 20 (the years are all starting to run together), my brother and myself signed up for an introductory handgunning course at the local indoor gun range. The course was a one-day affair, taught by the woman (!) who owned (and still owns) the range. We sat through a classroom session with 6-8 other people and learned about different types of handguns, how they work, different bullets and calibers, muzzle safety, etc. It was fascinating, informative, and fairly inexpensive, particularly in light of the second part of the course, which was a giant free-for-all with all of the range's rental guns. We shot everything from .22 revolvers to .45 semiautomatic Glocks, .357 magnum revolvers to 9mm Sigs like Daun's, it was awesome. We had professional supervision, requisite eye and ear protection, professional instruction on form and function . . . it was a great value. It was not a competition, everyone learned a LOT, and it was a fabulous introduction to modern handgunning. Seriously, i highly recommend calling up your local indoor range and seeing if they are having an introductory handgun class, or even a ladies-only handgun class. It is a safe and sane way to get started in the awesome world of awesome firearms.

I will write more later about long gunning (shotgun/rifle) but for now i have to trot off and earn a living.

3 comments:

  1. 'Rena, you rock. I remember the broken window incident and it was full of funny. You are the coolest little sister anyone could ever have. PS: when you do your blog on clay pigeon shooting, I hope you include how much Stephanie and I dominated.
    Love, me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next door neighbor had his eye shot out with a BB gun. Total freak accident - two boys shooting at a mailbox from 50 feet away and the BB ricocheted straight back into my friend's eye!

    Anyway, my parents are super-peaceful hippies so I had never even touched a gun before I decided I was going to learn to shoot three years ago.

    ReplyDelete